Thursday, September 6, 2007

In today's world, where advertising has come to stay, the selection of the right brand of even a common commodity like a soap, has become a nightmare for the common man (also known as the - Consumer).
My first introduction to this mania called "Consumerism" happened when I was on display for a potential groom.
He showed all symptons of a consumer...ignorance and confusion. On the other hand after a good shine and scrub Iwas feeling quite confident. I walked into the sitting room, filled with strange faces, with my eyes glued to the carpet as expected. My voice - melodious but subdued, answered a volley of questions thrown by a mass of human like faces, which blurred before my eyes with the right amount of nervousness expected.My face remained calm and serene (the kind seen on faces of those who attained nirvana) till the end. On the whole it was a performance par excellence! The worried look on my parents face was replaced by a smile. Dull conversation lulled into an awkward silence which only meant time to go. I made a gracious exit and knew I had met approval.
A few weeks later an uncle of the potential groom's, whom my dad had taken into confidence, informed us that I was among the few candidates who had been shortlisted. He proudly added that the advertisement they had placed in the papers had actually attracted 40 responses. Boy oh boy! Am I glad that I made it to the finals? So this is how a beauty pageant finalist feels. But unlike the beauty pageant the final results of this contest was not fixed.
I received the news that I had lost the crown (ring in this case) to a pea - brained, fair lass. Alas! Once again the "intelligent consumer" succumbs to nothing more than a beautiful wrapper!

2 comments:

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Unknown said...

Hi Nandhini,

I was too among the short-listed ones but I was the first to chuck him out when I was told that I stood first among the 30 others in terms of looks and attitude, but then they wanted to see me in office settings....:-)funny.

Let bygones be bygones.

Your blog is too good, it brought back my memories of the past...:-)

Keep blogging...very interesting to read em

-Neetu R